Smile by Raina Telgemeier is a story that totally connected with me in ways other books couldn’t. Raina’s story echoes a lot of my own, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see a story like this get shared. Many kids will face dental issues and bullying, so a book like this could do wonders for them!
I saw this book years ago and wanted to pick it up but never did. Recently, I found it at a local book store on sale and decided this was the time for me to grab it. I also just wanted some more cute graphic novels in my life, so that helped a lot.
I was honestly surprised how addicting and easy to read this book was. Yes, middle grade books tend to be easier for adults to read, but I found myself sinking into the story and not being able to get out. I related to it so much and I could totally feel for Raina. Middle school and high school are hard, especially when going through the pain of braces and surgeries (I for one, can attest to that).
Some of the major positives of this book are as follows:
1. Raina shares a personal stories that many people can relate to. This story will hit many readers in ways they don’t realize.
2. The illustrations in this book was fun and colourful and kept me hooked to the story.
3. The story was fast, easy to read, and quite fun (despite all the pain Raina was going through).
4. Raina standing up to her bullies was a serious “high-five” moment for me. Go Raina! You do you, girl!
5. There’s lots of little references to my own childhood in this book, so I can totally see adults digging this book along with their kids. Seriously, this book can be read by “all ages”. It’s a great read!
1. I didn’t realize this book was a memoir at first. I’m not sure if it was obvious or if I just missed it. That’s literally the only negative I can find. This book is great!
In all honesty, I love this book. I would definitely recommend readers pick this book up for a little fun and a lot of nostalgia. Who doesn’t forget those dreaded dentist appointments? Or if you were lucky enough to have braces, the craziness of those appointments!
I will 100% be picking up any more books by Raina Telgemeier that I come across.
Five out of five stars!
More middle grade books await, click the links below to find them:
#BookReview The Great Grain Elevator Incident by Kevin Miller
#BookReview Seizure by Kathy Reichs
#BookReview Monster Blood (Goosebumps) by R.L. Stine
Give me a shout out on Twitter if you read this review! #briarsreviews @ReviewAlholic
And like me on Facebook for more urgent updates! @BriarsReviews on Facebook
Or follow my on Goodreads: Briar’s Reviews on Goodreads