“If We Had Known” was a unique read that gave me chills.
With all the shootings that have been happening, well…everywhere, I was honestly surprised I hadn’t seen millions upon millions of books trying to hone in on the public interest. When I initially picked this book up, I was under the impression this book might try to do just that, but it was surprisingly and beautifully respectful.
I did enjoy this book. I think it was an interesting ride all the way along, and it kept me hooked. There were a couple chapters where it was slow and I became bored, but overall it was an addicting ride.
So, what are my pros and cons?
1. Different POVs – There are many different point of views in this story, and one of them is NOT the shooter (believe it or not). I appreciated watching the lives of many people fold out, and not just one.
2. Story Telling – I LOVE how Elise Juska told this story. Her choice of words and pace of the novel really fit well with this topic. I wouldn’t change a thing in relation to this.
3. Intertwining Stories – When stories intertwine I get so giddy! All of these stories having effects on each other (some positive, some very negative) made the book just a little bit more exciting. I could guess some of the effects that they would have on each other, but it was still nice to see that things do effect other people.
1. Plot Device Characters – It felt like some characters were thrown in and taken out super fast just to move the plot along. I would have liked to see Anna’s boyfriends a little bit more and see how things affected them.
2. Happily Ever After – Everything tied up so nicely at the end! I was kind of hoping to leave off on a weird note, and not a semi-happy note. Now, everybody who knows me knows I like happy/good endings, but I felt a little cheated with this one. There shouldn’t have been a really good ending, and anybody who’s been through something like this would tell you how honest that was.
Overall, I really liked this book! There are definitely some minor problems with this book, but it was a worthy read!
Four out of five stars!
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Did you enjoy this book? Why not check out another by Elisa Juska?! EliseJuska.com
Check out If We Had Known on Goodreads! Goodreads – If We Had Known
Give me a shoutout on twitter if you read this review! @ReviewAlholic – Briar’s Reviews on Twitter
Or check out another book you might enjoy! #BookReview Life Seemed Good, But… by Richard Bell
Comment below your favorite book that you read recently!